The Advantages of Bulk Polypropylene Sandbags for Flooding
There are a few major advantages of using durable polypropylene sandbags to guard against flooding. Sandbags have been intentionally designed to protect against the sheer force of water and will stack easily. This is why sandbags are much preferred over alternatives such as garbage bags, which rip easily. Some of the advantages of sandbags include:
- Reduce Drainage: Sandbags are dense and will prevent water from seeping through gaps, which might damage critical structures
- Prevent Item Loss: Flooding has the potential to sweep away valuable items; however, with sandbags, these items can be weighed down
- Protect Levees: Sandbags can prevent levees from cresting, reducing the chances of a breach occurring
- Guard Trees: Sandbags can be stacked around trees, supporting their root structures and preventing them from falling, where they might damage roofs and power lines
- Direct Water: Sandbags can be used to direct away toward a central drainage area
- Protect homes and Businesses: Finally, sandbags can be strategically placed in floodplains to prevent doors and windows from breaking in the event of a severe storm
These are only a few of the most important advantages that bulk polypropylene sandbags for flooding can provide. It is important for everyone to know how to properly use sandbags to maximize their benefits.
Safety Precautions When Working With Sandbags
Sandbags can act as a great defense against water damage; however, they need to be used properly. According to information that has been provided by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), some of the most important safety precautions include:
- You should make sure that you wear gloves while you fill sandbags because the bags themselves might have been treated with caustic chemicals
- Try to avoid touching your eyes and mouth while filling sandbags
- Wash your hands and face thoroughly after your fill sandbags
- Try to wear safety glasses, particularly on windy days, to prevent sand from blowing into your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Wear boots that are waterproof to prevent yourself from slipping on wet streets
- In addition, wear waterproof clothing to protect yourself from becoming drenched, which will inhibit your dexterity
- If you are operating in a flooded area, wear a personal flotation device (PFD)
If you are filling sandbags in the middle of a major storm, make sure that you guard against the potential of rushing water.
Lifting Sandbags Safely
There are a few tips that you need to keep in mind when you are lifting sandbags. These include:
- Try to keep the sandbag as close to your body as possible to maximize control over it
- Do not bend or twist when you are lifting a sandbag, as this will place you at risk of suffering a serious back injury, such as a herniated disc
- Instead, try to lift with your legs
- Always lift a sandbag with two hands and do not try to carry more than one at a time
You need to protect yourself from getting hurt when you work with sandbags. Always lift sandbags safely.
Filling Sandbags Appropriately
Finally, if you are filling sandbags manually, it is best to work in a three-person team. Try to switch jobs every thirty minutes to keep everyone fresh.
- One person should hold the bags open and close them when they have the right amount of sand, which is around 2/3 full
- A second person should be responsible for moving sand or soil into the bags using a rounded shovel with a short handle
- A third person should take the sandbags to the assembly point once they are full using proper lifting techniques
Teamwork is essential for getting sandbags filled and transported safely and efficiently.
Setting Up Bulk Sandbags for Flood Prevention
Once the sandbags have been filled, they should be stocked to create a barricade. Over time, sandbags are going to mold with each other, closing gaps through which water might pass. Be sure to move any
debris out of the way and ensure the sandbags are parallel to the direction of potential floodwaters. Place them lengthwise and fold any flaps underneath the weight of the bags.
Select From a Range of Prefilled Sand Bags. Same Day pick up in Houston or Lubbock TX.